My empowering YOU3 program is founded on the principle love begins with the relationship with yourself. Today’s post addresses that in: I am More than my Appearance: Let Love Start with Me! I read a recent article about negative self-defeating thoughts that jumped out for one woman when she weighed herself at the doctor’s office. She immediately went into a tailspin about her weight, unattractiveness, and how others would notice. One of her solutions was to go shopping to perk herself up! Do you know just how dangerous this practice is for so many men and women when they’re SO down, anxious, bored, or stressed they turn to shopping? Sometimes the toys or wardrobe can be quite costly and plunge the individual into debt and actually increase the feelings of helplessness, depression, and being overwhelmed. Besides, you’re treating the symptoms and not the source of the disgust and feelings of inadequacy. Notice the triggers in your escalating emotions. For this woman, it was stepping on the scale; a practice she had long eliminated. In fact earlier in the day, she felt proud and beautiful, rejoicing in her day. Then suddenly, with a certain number, she was devastated, pushing back to her past, and reliving the many limiting and self-sabotaging thoughts and beliefs. When you find yourself reverting to the harsh critic within, here are the following steps to “fall in love” with yourself again.
Love = Stop the Critical Messages
First stop the critical messages and take a moment to notice what you are telling yourself.
- What are the actual beliefs that prevent you from embracing yourself?
- Are you telling yourself that you’ll never be attractive, no one would want you; no one would ever marry the you they view as ugly, fat, and lazy?
- Write down these beliefs, which serve as the basis for your immediate moment-by-moment unproductive thoughts. These beliefs are in essence, your operational rules for your life and well-being.
Love = Remember Your Beauty
- Remind yourself that you are the very same beautiful, vibrant person before stepping on a scale, hearing critical comments from your inner voice or from others, feeling rejected, or avoided by others. You do have power over your thoughts and feelings.
Love = Practice Positive Affirmations
- Practice affirmations or beliefs that are supportive of you. You might write down compliments or supportive, nurturing statements that you have given yourself in the past when you were feeling loving and accepting of yourself. Read, think, and say them now. For instance, you might think:
- This situation gives me the opportunity to love and affirm myself.
- My body serves me well.
- I am practicing ways to keep my body strong, slim, and healthy
- I choose to accept my body.
- I radiate love and energy within me and to those whom I meet.
- I am attractive and am magnetic to those whom I talk with.
- I am learning to love and accept my body more each day.
You are on your way to having the love you so deeply desire…starting with yourself first. Dr. Mamiko Odegard, the love and relationship expert and founder of ACT on Love™, helps you to find your true love by providing the tools and skills so you can feel and be extraordinary. Only then can you really claim and know your value and preciousness and show love to yourself and others. Let Dr. Mamiko help you today to jumpstart your love to gain the love and passion you crave, and the life you dream of. Click here to schedule your Introductory Discovery Consultation… All change begins with awareness, and it begins with you! Image: http://www.freeimages.com/photo/1432101